Monday, May 13, 2013

A Low-Key Kind of Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day and it was so nice to be celebrated and loved by my children and husband.

We kept it low-key and had a great day.  Ahron took care of all of the cleaning and cooking for the day (really, what better gift could you get from your spouse?).  Lainie made me a bookmark and a coupon book at school.  Miles made me a flower vase.

Last minute I decided to head up to the Kitsap Antique Fair in Bremerton and just check out the scene up there, so I did get a few hours to myself.  Later in the afternoon, Miles and Lainie practiced riding their bikes.

They both can ride with no training wheels now!  I was commenting to Ahron how it took Lainie so long to be able to do it.  She's extremely cautious and waits until she has no fear.  It really took her two years to achieve this.  I remember trying to teach her a few years ago how to ride her bike but she fell a couple of times and that upset her.  When we pumped her bike tires this year she just hopped on it a couple of weeks ago and was riding like it was no big deal.

Miles, seeing his sister's success, asked to take his training wheels off.  My big boy just turned six and was absolutely determined to ride without training wheels.  He ended up spending a few hours on Saturday in the back yard trying to get the hang of it.  Sunday morning he was riding around the back yard unassisted!

Learning to ride a bike is one of those essential childhood skills you just have to have.  I remember loving my bikes and the tiny bit of freedom they brought.

In the evening after we ate dinner Lainie insisted on giving me a pedicure.  She is so sweet when she wants to be.  All in all, it was a fabulous day.  I'm so blessed.   Next big happening in our family, my 31st birthday is coming up and we're spending Memorial Day weekend in Yakima!  I can't wait to be home for the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment