Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The results are in and...

HE MADE IT! AHRON WAS SELECTED FOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER!

Can I just say it, HALLELUJAH the wait is finally over.  Honestly, I am so relieved that he'll never have to take that stinking exam and go through the torturous eight-month process again. 

I am beyond thrilled and proud of my husband.  Yesterday was a surreal day for both of us.  Turns out we were both refreshing on his BUPERS page (his personal record) at the same time when the results posted at 10am. 

At that moment when I saw the "S" which stands for Select, I dropped the iPad and started jumping up and down and screaming with excitement.  Miles also started screaming, although I'm not sure he quite understood why this was such a great and glorious thing.  He was more thinking along the lines of, "Hey a reason to be loud and wild, fun mommy!" 

With shaking hands I dialed Ahron's work phone only to get a busy signal.  Little did I know he was calling me and got a busy signal too because we were trying to call each other at the same time. 

I hung up and his call came through.  It was an amazing feeling. 

This morning we were talking about how his seven week induction will fall in line with his twelve-year anniversary in the Navy.  Just around this time twelve years ago he entered boot camp, a fresh-faced kid from the suburbs of Saint Louis.  His life would never be the same.  Now twelve years later he gets to step up and become a senior enlisted military member. 

This whole selection made me think about my own Navy career.  I only served five years, but I am very proud of the time I did serve.  It makes me wonder where I would be now had I stayed in.  But, I'm grateful for getting out when I did.  As a mother, I would have been devastated if I couldn't watch my children grow up.  Becoming a mother was always my big life goal, not the Navy.  I'm glad I can stay connected to it through Ahron.   

Now the next seven weeks we aren't going to see him much as he begins his training.  That's all right though.  We'll manage.  Anything is better than deployment!  I hope his dad and his grandfather were smiling and proud.

1 comment: